Tuesday, April 19, 2016

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday

 First Chapter


Every Tuesday over at Bibliophile By the Sea Diane shares the first paragraph, maybe two of the book she is reading.  She challenges us to do the same.  This week, I am sharing the first paragraph from The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah.


"If I have learned anything in this long life of mine, it is this:  In love we find out who we want to be; in war we find out who we are.  Today's young people want to know everything about everyone.  They think talking about a problem will solve it.  I come from a quieter generation.  We understand the value of forgetting, the lure of reinvention.

Lately, though, I find myself thinking about the war and my past, about the people I lost.

Lost." (1)

I started reading yesterday and I am having a difficult time putting it aside for things like cleaning, eating, sleeping.  I didn't think I was a Kristin Hannah fan.  I'm not sure why.  I don't think I have ever read any of her books, but I think perhaps I labeled her "chick lit."  That isn't one of my categories of choice.  This book is a very pleasant surprised.  I will have to give some of her other books a try.


Hannah, Kristin.  The Nightingale. New York: St. Martin's Press, 2015.

No comments: